write 600 words with min 2-3 peer reviewed references
Critical Thinking 4: page 280 – Part 1
Please answer these questions?
- A writer compared letters and social media posts: “What is special about a letter is the time that is taken in creating a letter—that someone went to the trouble of finding a piece of paper, sitting down, crafting their thoughts, putting them on paper, and that they created this document really just for me. A letter is a very singular expression, it’s a unique document, and for that reason, to get it in the mail feels almost like a gift…. It’s a piece of paper that I can feel…. There’s a physical connection.”35 How might these observations apply to business letters? What other special traits can you identify? (L.O. 1)
- A Pew Research Center study found that 89 percent of cell phone owners had used their phones during the last social gathering they attended, but they weren’t happy about it; 82 percent of respondents said their use of smartphones in social settings hurt the conversation. Do you split your attention between your screen and faceto-face conversations? Do you believe it’s
- Why is it smart to keep your cool when making a claim, and how should you go about it? (L.O. 3)
- Why is it important to regain the confidence of a customer in an adjustment message? How can it be done? (L.O. 4)
- Ethical Issue: Credit repair companies are notorious for making grand promises that they can’t legally fulfill. The Federal Trade Commission has warned that none of those companies are legitimate. Experts say that people with credit blemishes would be better off saving their money and trying to repair their bad credit themselves. One path to better credit involves the writing of so-called goodwill letters. A goodwill letter in this context is a formal message to individual creditors asking them for compassion and requesting that they stop reporting negative information such as late payments on one’s credit report. Discuss why writing such goodwill letters instead of calling or sending an e-mail might be a good strategy.