Write a short (50-100-word) paragraph response for each question. This assignment is to be submitted as a Microsoft Word document.
1. Define negotiation as it applies to patient education.
2. Explain how the change in the patient’s status through the years has affected patient education.
3. List the pros and cons of negotiation.
4. Describe the general conditions that would be included in a patient contract.
5. Discuss old age and the baby boomer.
6. List several generational, religious, and cultural differences between the 30-year-old health care professional and the elderly patient.
7. Explain some of the barriers to patient education of the elderly and discuss their special needs.
8. List ways to best approach patient education of the elderly.
9. Discuss some cultural and religious beliefs about death that you have encountered.
10. Explain why it is important to discuss death and dying with the elderly patient and what the impact is on all involved.
11. Explain how to teach a patient with a life-threatening illness.
Write a 500-750-word essay on the influence patient education has in health care using the experiences of a patient. Interview a friend or family member about that person’s experiences with the health care system. You may develop your own list of questions.
Suggested interview questions:
1. Did a patient education representative give you instructions on how to care for yourself after your illness or operation?
2. Did a health care professional, pharmacist, nurse, doctor, or elder counselor advise you on your medication, diet, or exercise?
3. Who assisted you at home after your illness or operation?
4. Do you know of any assistance services, i.e., food, transportation, medication, that would help you stay in your home as you get older?