Select one of the following three ethical scenarios and prepare a 2 1/2-3 page paper discussing the ethical principles and considerations for this elderly or disabled individual.
Outline for your paper:
- Identify your chosen scenario and then identify and describe the ethical principles in conflict (i.e. autonomy, beneficence, etc.).
- Provide recommendations for management of the ethical dilemma inclusive of the possible choices and resulting consequences as well as who to engage in the decision making
- Summarize the issues and recommendations in your final paragraph
Please choose ONE of the following three scenarios
1. Mr. S has severe mobility issues due to paraplegia and some speech problems but he is mentally intact. He wants to leave the facility for activities independently against medical advice.
2. Mr. A had been diagnosed with a rare and aggressive cancer and was admitted currently unresponsive.He has a grown son and has been estranged from his common law partner for more than 10 years. Mr. A is now in hospice at your facility and a conflict has arisen in that his son reports his father “always wanted to die at home without aggressive treatment”, while his common law partner insists that Mr. A was “always a fighter and always refused to give up”
3. Mrs. J will not allow the staff to touch her, turn her, or care for her wound. She tells everyone to leave her alone and will not take medication for her infection. She angrily yells at her family and refuses to let them visit or help with her care. Everyone is concerned about her declining health and unwillingness to participate or allow care.