HIMA410 Informatics and Analytics Assignment: Presenting Results Assignment Instructions Comparing performance is a common business strategy, including those among healthcare facilities. You are Regional Director for a Healthcare System that includes two hospitals, several clinics, and a long-term care facility. You have been asked to evaluate hospital comparison data and develop a dashboard to benchmark aspects of the coding function for internal and national standards. The information is used by HIM managers and coding supervisors across the network. HIM works closely with reimbursement and revenue, so you may include data on length of stay, accounts receivable, DRGs, or case mix index as part of your dashboard presentation. Hospital Comparison Data
• Using the Hospitals Compare feature on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website, access benchmarking data for local hospitals – https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcompare/search.html?
• Conduct a search by name, proximity, or geography following the instructions under the heading “Find a Hospital?”
• Select at least two facilities to compare by selecting “Add to Compare” • Select “Compare Now” • Select one of the Categories/Tabs at the top (example – Survey, Complications) • Select a Category from the drop-down arrow(s) • Select “Show Graphs” • Export to MS Excel and save the data and graphs. • Evaluate the report. • Analyze the data and identify trends. • Interpret the data
• Research national coding standards from AHIMA body of knowledge and other resources.
• Compare the various aspects of the standards. • Create a coding dashboard based on the standards.
o The dashboard should contain at least three different coding aspects. The data can be qualitative or quantitative, for inpatient or outpatient coding.
o You should include at least two graphs to help create your dashboard. Use MS Excel to create the graphs. Include actual data within tables to create a good graphical display.
Dashboard & Assessment Create a 15-slide PowerPoint presentation to include:
• Visuals and graphs of hospital data and coding data – as your dashboard. • For each graph, provide a 1-2 paragraph summary to explain what the information
reflects, and why it is a valuable tool for HIM services and managers. • Evaluate the use of benchmarking and comparative data. • Based on your interpretation of the hospital and coding data results, what are your
predictions or assumptions about the data. • Evaluate the report using various statistical methods.
• Justify your interpretation based on summary of data and references. • Recommend how you intend to use the data for making decisions for HIM managers and
coding supervisors across the hospital system. • Provide a summary of your references.
Grading Criteria Points Presented visuals and graphs of hospital data and coding data – as the dashboard.
For each graph, provide a 1-2 paragraph summary to explain what the information reflects, and why it is a valuable tool for HIM services and managers.
Evaluate the use of benchmarking and comparative data.
Based on your interpretation of the hospital and coding data results, what are your predictions or assumptions about the data.
Justify your interpretation based on summary of data and references.
Recommend how you intend to use the data for making decisions for HIM managers and coding supervisors across the hospital system.
Provided a 15-slide PowerPoint Presentation, with a title and reference slide.
Total 100 points AHIMA 2014 Entry‐Level Competency Domain III. Informatics, Analytics and Data Use Subdomain III. C. Analytics and Decision Support Entry-Level Competencies Student Learning Outcomes
Minimum Required Bloom’s Taxonomy
Subdomain III. C. Analytics and Decision Support 3. Recommend organizational action based on knowledge
obtained from data exploration and mining.
4. Analyze clinical data to identify trends that demonstrate quality, safety, and effectiveness of healthcare.
4 * Descriptive statistics (Mean, standard deviation, ranges, and percentiles); Inferential statistics (T-tests, ANOVA, regression analysis, reliability, and validity); Epidemiological applications
6. Evaluate administrative reports using appropriate software.
Subdomain III.D. Health Care Statistics 1.Interpret inferential statistics.
5 * Inferential statistics (T-tests, ANOVA, regression analysis, reliability, and validity); Computerized statistical packages (SPSS & SAS)
2.Analyze statistical data for decision making.
4 * Data reporting of statistical healthcare data and presentation techniques