IPR Recording Mental Health Nursing
Module 02 Content
- Interpersonal Process Recording (IPR)
This assignment will help prepare you for conversations with clients with mental health conditions.
Describe the foundations of mental health nursing.
It will be carried out with two students working together. This is a “role-play exercise,” One student is the student nurse. And the other will role-play as a client. In this assignment. The nursing student will demonstrate the therapeutic nurse-client relationship. And analyze the therapeutic and nontherapeutic techniques used. You will take turns in the roles.
This is not about always having therapeutic responses. It is about learning from practice and review. It is expected that you will think of other ways to respond or interact with the client that may be more therapeutic after the interaction is terminated. After the conversation is over, you will complete in IPR form.
The client roles are:
- Mr. Jones is a 69-year-old retired engineer. He was admitted to the in-patient psychiatric unit the previous day. His daughter had called the police when he locked himself in his bathroom and refused to come out. She thought he was suicidal. He was brought to the hospital by the police and was admitted on involuntary status. Since admission, he has been reticent but told his daughter he had no reason to live since his wife died.
- Diagnosis: Major Depressive Disorder
- Nursing Diagnosis: Risk for suicide.
- Mrs. Alvarez is a 34-year-old female who has lived in this country for the past 10 yrs. She is a stay-at-home mom with three small children. Her husband works two jobs to support the family. Lately, she has been extremely anxious and fears that her children will become ill or injured. This seems to be an unrealistic concern. But she has been unable to sleep well and has lost 15 lbs. in the past month. She is a voluntary admission and states she knows she needs help.
- Diagnosis: Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Nursing Diagnosis: Ineffective coping
- You will select the role you wish as a client and take turns switching roles. After the conversation, you will document the interactions using the form provided and following the guidelines instructions for each column.
IPR Form Explanation
The IPR is completed with the form to guide you and the rubric to explain the grading process for content.
- The first column is for you, the nursing students, comments/ questions, and responses. You may want to include the introduction process. It is understandable if the initial conversation is more superficial to establish rapport. You may not want to include all of this but move on to the more focused interaction. Your nonverbal communication is included here.
- Then, the conversation will focus on the client’s feelings, concerns. Issues as they have identified them. After the introduction, it may be beneficial to establish a short-term goal for the interaction with the client.
- The second column is for the client’s comments, questions, responses. Also, the nonverbal reactions of the client are included in this column.
- The middle column is for you to write what you are thinking or feeling.
- The last two columns are for you to document the technique that you used in that portion of the conversation. If it is a non – therapeutic response, you must write the response and think of how to revise it to more therapeutic response. You can change any response if you think of how you could have responded differently but, identify and change all non – therapeutic responses.