The foundation of the protecting our nation’s critical infrastructures and key resources is the risk management framework. Risk is the possibility of an unwanted event – the chance of losing something. The goal in risk management is to mitigate loss from a natural or manmade disaster.
For this assignment, read Chapter 3, “The Strategy: Managing Risk,” from NIPP 2013: Partnering for Critical Infrastructure Security and Resilience [PDF].
Write a 2–4 page paper in which you:
- Analyze the National Infrastructure Protection Plan and Risk Management Framework, including Figure 3 – Critical Infrastructure Risk Management Framework on page 15 of the National Infrastructure Protection Plan, and conclude how it has been designed to protect the nation’s critical infrastructure.
- Determine the purpose of the feedback loop design and argue how it strengthens or weakens the model. Justify your response.
- Decide if taking a “risk management” approach is suitable for protecting the nation’s critical infrastructure. Support your response.
- Choose the one step that is the most important or has the greatest impact on the other steps of the Risk Management Framework and describe why.
- Discuss your thoughts on the effectiveness of the NIPP, and suggest one change you would make to the plan. Support your response.
- Use the Strayer Online Library, the Internet, or your supplemental resource list to locate at least three quality resources for use in this assignment.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is: