Introduction to Mediation Assignment
For this assignment, you are an official mediator. Write an “Introduction to Mediation” speech that you would use during the introduction stage of a mediation. This is a script that you, as a mediator, would give in the beginning of a mediation between the disputing parties. Write this assignment in the form of a speech, keeping in mind who your audience is (the parties and possibly their attorneys). Your speech should NOT contain any factual analysis.
Your script should include:
1. A welcome – welcome the participants to the process, identify the parties, and determine how each party prefers to be addressed during the mediation. Include how you would like to be addressed as well.
2. Describe the purpose of mediation and the advantages over other methods of dispute resolution.
3. Describe your role as the mediator. Be sure to explain neutrality, discuss conflicts of interests, and confidentiality.
5. Explain how the mediation will conclude (what will be produced at the end).
6. Explain any ground rules, such as:
- One person speaks at a time, parties should speak directly to the mediator.
- If a party disagrees, make a note and wait for your turn to address, do not interrupt the other party.
- Turn off electronic devices, do not record any part of the mediation.
- Be respectful.
7. Ask parties if they have questions before you begin.
Your assignment must be at 1-2 pages long, double-spaced, set in 12-point type, and framed with one-inch margins.
Include your name at the top of the first page.
Proofread your paper to eliminate mechanical and grammatical errors.