Rasmussen Compassion Fatigue & Satisfaction on Social Work Students
Consider the scenario below, then follow the instructions underneath it to complete the assignment.
Jim has been a Human Services Professional for 7 years and has received excellent evaluations from his supervisors at WECARE, a Human Services agency that works intensively with the homeless population. For the past 2 years, in addition to his full-time employment, Jim has also worked a part-time job. Earlier this year, Jim took on even more responsibilities by committing to take 1-2 classes each semester so he can finish his bachelor’s degree.
Over the past month, you’ve noticed that Jim has been coming into work looking tired and disheveled. He seems increasingly impatient and you’ve even heard him grumbling in the breakroom about some of his more difficult clients. Yesterday, while walking through the office, you overheard Jim say to his client, “I don’t understand why you’re reacting this way. You don’t really have it so bad. I mean, I’m working two jobs right now and I’m barely making enough to pay for school and make ends meet, but you don’t hear me complaining. Do you?”
In a 3-page paper, written using proper spelling/grammar, address the following:
- Do you think Jim is allowing personal bias to affect his work with clients? Why or why not?
- How should Jim respond to clients within the professional realm?
- Based on what you know about Jim, and the observed changes in his behavior, what factors indicate that Jim may need self-care and may be suffering from burnout?
- In the past, Jim has received commendations for being a great Human Services Professional. As a supportive colleague, how would you explain compassion fatigue to him? What strategies would you recommend he take to recover from potential burnout?
- What do you predict will be the impact of Jim’s continued behavior without intervention? Explain your reasoning. Must be a 3 page essay with a title page and reference page and for any refence must have a in text citation. APA format