Theory is used in health care and health care practices every day; however, most health care providers are unaware of its influence. By increasing your awareness of philosophy, science, and nursing theory, you are better able to recognize its application in daily practice. The use of evidence-based practice (EBP) models also help facilitate the implementation of research in clinical practice. This Discussion explores EBP as a strategy for bridging the theory-to-practice gap.
- Reflect on this week’s Learning Resources, focusing on the interrelationship between theory, practice, and research and how evidence-based practice integrates this relationship.
- Consider the pros and cons of implementing EBP in nursing practice.
- Conduct additional research as necessary using credible websites and the Walden Library to better understand the benefits and concerns of EBP in clinical practice.
By Day 3 post a cohesive response that addresses the following:
- Why would a focus on EBP be good for advanced nursing practice?
- What are some drawbacks?
McEwin, M., & Wills, E. M. (2019). Theoretical basis for nursing. (5th ed.) Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health.
- Chapter 19, “Application of Theory in Nursing Practice”Chapter 19 examines the relationship between theory and nursing practice. It discusses how evidence-based practice provides an opportunity to utilize research and theory to improve patient outcomes, health care, and nursing practice.