Treatment of Municipal Solid Waste
A local municipality expects to close its landfill in one year, and it has decided to adopt a thermal technology for the treatment of its municipal solid waste. The city needs your help to choose between a traditional municipal waste incinerator and a pyrolysis unit. As a solid waste professional, you have been hired by the city council to provide an analysis of these two technologies.
You are tasked with preparing an executive summary that compares the two technologies. Your summary should contain the following items:
- a short description of the technologies, their advantages and disadvantages, their waste products, and their economics;
- the fundamental science and engineering principles of solid waste management that are involved;
- the laws or standards that factor into your decision;
- how your decision will affect the population of the community; and
- your recommendation and rationale to the city.
Your executive summary should be a minimum of three pages in length. You must use your textbook and at least one resource from the CSU Online Library in your paper, but other academic sources may be used in addition. Any outside information used must be cited in accordance to APA style, and your paper should be formatted in APA style to include a title page, running head, and reference page.