Virginia laws on cohabitation
Locate and read Virginia laws (statutes and case law) on cohabitation and answer the following:
- Is cohabitation legal in Virginia? If so, since when? And, according to what law? If not, according to what law?
- Does Virginia follow the Uniform Premarital Agreement Act, a modified version, or its own state version?
- Will Virginia courts enforce a cohabitation agreement?
- Why do you think so many couples are choosing cohabitation instead of traditional marriage? What age group tends to have the highest percentage of folks who cohabit?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of cohabitation?
- Why do you think the states have an interest in allowing or disallowing this behavior under the laws?
Cite at least two (2) outside sources, including at least one (1) primary source of law.