With a place squarely in the spotlight for patients diagnosed with all manner of disease, APRNs must demonstrate not only support and compassion but the expertise to guide patients’ understanding of diagnoses and treatment plans.
This expertise goes beyond an understanding of disease and sciences, such as cellular pathophysiology. APRNs must become experts in their patients, understanding their medical backgrounds, pertinent characteristics, and other variables that can be factored in their diagnoses and treatments.
Develop a 3- to 4-page case study analysis in which you:
- Explain why you think the patient presented the symptoms described.
- Identify the genes that may be associated with the development of the disease.
- Explain the process of immunosuppression and the effect it has on body systems.
McCance, K. L. & Huether, S. E. (2019). Pathophysiology: The biologic basis for disease in adults and children (8th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby/Elsevier.
- Chapter 1: Cellular Biology; Summary Review
- Chapter 2: Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology: Environmental Agents(pp. 46-61; begin again with Manifestations of Cellular Injury pp. 83-97); Summary Review
- Chapter 3: The Cellular Environment: Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids, and Bases,
- Chapter 4: Genes and Genetic Diseases (stop at Elements of formal genetics); Summary Review
- Chapter 5: Genes, Environment-Lifestyle, and Common Diseases (stop at Genetics of common diseases); Summary Review
- Chapter 7: Innate Immunity: Inflammation and Wound Healing
- Chapter 8: Adaptive Immunity (stop at Generation of clonal diversity); Summary Review
- Chapter 9: Alterations in Immunity and Inflammation (stop at Deficiencies in immunity); Summary Review
- Chapter 10: Infection (stop at Infectious parasites and protozoans); (start at HIV); Summary Review
- Chapter 11: Stress and Disease (stop at Stress, illness & coping); Summary Review
- Chapter 12: Cancer Biology (stop at Resistance to destruction); Summary Review
- Chapter 13: Cancer Epidemiology (stop at Environmental-Lifestyle factors); Summary Review