Discuss barriers to practice as an APN in one’s state from both a state and national perspective. Research methods to influence policy change from various forms of competition, state legislative and executive branches of government and interest groups.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this discussion, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
- Discuss the history of policy development and policy making in nursing (CO1)
- Examine different types of policy and their relationships to healthcare policy (CO1)
- Explain current barriers to practice for advanced practice nurses (CO2)
- Discuss health policy and methods of lifting barriers to practice (CO2)
Using the readings from this week as well as outside reliable resources to: Identify;
- practice barriers for APNs in your state and discuss these barriers on a state and national level.
- forms of competition on the state and national level that interfere with APN’s ability to practice independently.
- the specific lawmakers by name at the state level (i.e., key members of the state’s legislative branch and executive branch of government)
- interest groups that exist at the state and national levels that influence APN policy.
- methods used to influence change in policy in forms of competition, state legislative and executive branches of government and interest groups.
- A scholarly resource must be used for EACH discussion question each week.