This week, Ch. 10 focused on employee benefits and services. One area of the chapter specifically focused on domestic partner benefits. This is a unique topic for HR since not all states legally require employers to recognize domestic partnerships and offer those benefits.
That said, begin by researching to determine domestic partnership benefit laws for your state. Please clearly describe the laws currently in place pertaining to domestic partner benefits.
Once you’ve determined the laws for your state, answer the following questions based on the scenario of you being the HR manager for a company beginning to implement domestic partner benefits:
- The company must provide a definition for domestic partnerships in the employee handbook. How would you define domestic partnership?
- What will qualify employees to receive domestic partner benefits?
- What benefits would the company be willing to provide for domestic partners?
- Your original post should be at least 5 sentences at the very least. Considering the content of this discussion, I’m expecting at least 2-3 full paragraphs.
- You should have at least 2 outside resources to develop your answers.