I’m studying for my Sociology class and need an explanation.
Community involvement in the classroom helps establish a safe environment for young children to grow up in and learn to be a functioning citizen. Establishing volunteer opportunities early in a school year develops a strong united team between families, teachers, and state agencies who provide assessment and other services to meet students’ diverse developmental needs. Many teachers seek volunteers as early as Meet the Teacher night.
Develop a 10-12 slide digital presentation that you could present to families at Meet the Teacher night to encourage them to engage in their child’s education by volunteering in the classroom. This presentation should include:
- The positive effects family and community involvement in the classroom can have on student learning outcomes.
- Five or more expectations for volunteers in your classroom, including any health and safety requirements.
- At least 1-2 examples of child-centered educational activities volunteers could be involved in that extend the learning community beyond the classroom.
- Five or more volunteer options varied to provide opportunities for families with diverse schedules, cultures, languages, and worldviews.
- At least 2-3 community resources to assist families in engaging in their child’s education.
- Include a title slide, references slide and presenters notes.
Read “Preparing Teachers to Work with Parents. ERIC Digest,” by Hiatt-Michael, located on the ERIC Clearinghouse on Teaching and Teacher Education website (2001).
“How Volunteers can Work with Parents to Improve Early Childhood Outcomes: A Review of the Evidence,” by McLeish, Baker, and Suppiah, from International Journal of Birth & Parent Education (2017).