We are all shaped by our past, including our upbringing. We often make decisions based on guidelines, rules, or a specific worldview that acts a frame of reference that helps us judge right from wrong.
- How are values, morals, and ethics defined? Explain how they are different and similar, using examples to illustrate.
- What personal, cultural, and spiritual values and morals do you hold? Are some more important than others to you? Explain how these contribute to your personal worldview.
- How do your values and morals contribute to your philosophy of nursing and influence your professional nursing practice? Explain how they affect clinical decision-making.
- In what ways are the values and morals guiding your personal worldview congruent with those guiding your professional nursing practice? Explain and use examples to illustrate.
- Are there areas where the values and morals guiding your personal worldview are not congruent with those guiding your professional nursing practice? If not, are there possible scenarios where this could be the case for the RN? Explain and indicate how the RN could use the ANA’s and ICN’s code of ethics to reconcile those differences.