The Collapse and Revival of American Community
Review; Bowling Alone Assignment Instructions
In order to master an academic field, you must carefully read and engage with the most important books in that field. The book review is a common academic exercise, and virtually every major newspaper, magazine, and academic journal has a book review section. A good book review fairly and accurately explains the argument the book’s author has made, highlighting key themes, including the book’s strengths or weaknesses, its central assumptions, or its most important contributions to the scholarly conversation.
Assess the state of community in modern society described by Robert Putnam in Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community. What does the picture that he paints have to say about the ability of modern political, economic, and cultural institutions to promote a flourishing society?
- Length of assignment: 3 pages (not including the title page and bibliography)
- Format of assignment: Current Turabian format.
- Number of citations: 5 scholarly sources supporting and/or illustrating your position.
- Scriptural excerpts with citations are required.
- Must include a title page and bibliography.
- 12-pt, Times New Roman font, double-spaced, with default margins.
Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool.