The Strengths and Weaknesses of Lockes Theory of Private Property
Read pages 158 through 171 of Donaldson-Werhane, and thed readings. Submit short answers to these quiz questions. You may submit them on a separate page or type them into the textbox.
1) Comment on the strengths and weaknesses of Locke’s theory of private property.
2) What is Locke’s response to the accusation that his theory of private property will lead to wasteful accumulation of the “fruits of the earth”? (greed)
3) Comment on whether the theme of the Declaration of Independence leads to a system of self-centered individualism.
4) Why does Smith’s theory of the “invisible hand” theoretically build a viable economy, and what limits self interest?
5) Comment on how Marxist theory concerning the alienation of workers and fetishism of the marketplace might derive from Kant’s Categorical Imperative.
Textbook: Donaldson, T., Patricia Hogue Werhane, & D, J. (2008). Ethical issues in business : a philosophical approach (8th ed.). Pearson/Prentice Hall