Information Systems Integration Group Interview & Individual Response
The Information Systems Integration Project has three components: a group interview, an individual response, and a PowerPoint presentation. The results of this assignment will be used in Parts Two and Three of the project.
IT managers in health care and health care administration positions need to be able to demonstrate change management abilities while also remaining attuned to the areas in which a health care executive operates and exerts influence, whether that is within the health care organization itself, among business peers, or with government agencies. While IT managers oversee, maintain, and improve IT system operations, they are also responsible for implementing new computer systems within budget and time limitations to meet company needs.
As a group, identify a health care IT professional who works in a health care organization’s IT department. Ideally, this will be an individual in a senior-level position with a solid technical background. Reach out to this individual to set up an interview to discuss how the health management information system (HMIS) is integrated within the individual’s facility. This interview may be conducted in person, over the phone, via e-mail, or through a video conference, but the whole group is expected to attend and participate.
As a group, choose 10 questions from the list below and develop five additional questions to ask your contact about IT in a health care setting and how technology is utilized within the management of the health care organization where the contact works. In addition to technical expertise, IT managers need communication and project management skills to be successful, so you may want to include questions about your interviewee’s past experience working on a team and the interviewee’s ability to handle IT projects from beginning to end.
Sample interview questions:
- How did you come to work in this industry? Why are you interested in health care?
- What skills and experience do you consider to be the most crucial for an IT manager in the health care industry?
- What was your training for this position? What are your training methods to ensure effectiveness of a new hire? What are your training methods to ensure effective use of corporate computer system?
- What value does your organization offer to its various constituencies (i.e., businesses, government institutions, insurers, and patients)? How does your role contribute to these value-enhancing services?
- How do you ensure your organization is keeping up with the continual advances in medical technology and other technological trends??
- How do you gather system and user requirements?
- What do you do when trying to solve a problem and you are confronted with contradictory information?
- What EMR/EHR system does your company or organization use? Why this selection?
- What are priorities when making budget decisions? How do you negotiate for new hardware or software?
- How do you implement significant improvements and changes to an IT infrastructure?
- How do you ensure confidential data are stored in a secure place?
- What research do you or your team conduct before deploying a new software system or process?
- Are you or your team in charge of preparing cost-analysis reports to be presented to the organization’s stakeholders? If so, how do you prepare for it?
- How do you align the goals of the IT department with the overall business plan of the organization where you work?
- What methods have you or your team had to implement to ensure effective network security?
- Does the company or organization where you work have a disaster recovery plan? What does it entail?
- Do you work with a data-warehouse information system or cloud applications? How do these systems affect data storage protocol?
- What information analysis system have you worked with most?
- How do you explain technical details to a nontechnical audience?
- What mistakes have you or your team made in dealing with medical staff? How have you learned from those mistakes?