I need support with this Sociology question so I can learn better.
Writing Assignment about 1400 words- Write a short based on “Where to invade next” by Michael Moore
Where to invade next:
Cultures, sub-cultures and counter-cultures
Culture: Norms, Valuea and Symbols
Watch “Where to invade next” and read chapter 3 (Culture). Also review material regarding chapter 3 posted on CANVAS. Your task is to analyze this documentary and write a short essay. Use the concepts presented in chapter 3 to write this paper. Please make sure that the following prompts are addressed in your paper.
1.Michael Moore visits nine countries. In each country he picks up one value to examine difference between American society and the country he was visiting. For example, in Norway, prison system was based on the value of “rehabilitation” (not revenge). This value guides every aspect of incarceration. Your task is to examine TWO countries and explain the underlying value examined in the countries you have picked.
- For the two countries you have selected compare discuss how things are done in these countries as compared to America.
3.Give examples of the following concepts (you can use any country visited in the documentary)
- Material culture and non-material culture (give definitions and examples of these concepts)
- Symbols (give definition and example of this concept)
- Formal and informal norms (give definitions and examples of this concepts)
- Use any country to illustrate the concept of “Cultural Shock” – explain what surprised you most while watching this documentary and WHY? To answer the “WHY”, you will have to explain your cultural assumptions about how things are done.
- Conclude the analysis by using the concept of “cultural relativism” – is it fair for Michael Moore to judge American society by standards of other culture?
Guidelines for a 4-5-page double spaced(Minimum) paper : Rubric for grading
- Introduction: Start with the concept of culture and clearly state how you are going to use this documentary to understand cultural differences between US and other countries. Please be focused on the concept of culture (not politics or any other aspect). Please do not copy and paste summary – it will not work because your focus must be on culture.
2.Body of the paper: prompts 2-4
3.Conclusion: prompt 5
Make sure that the short paper is well written. Pay attention to language, spelling and grammar.
Grading Rubric (50 points)
|1. Introduction – presents a summary of the documentary based on the concept of culture||5|
|2.Prompt 1 and 2 – clearly explain the values (TWO countries) you have picked up. Use examples to explain the values (Prompt 2 – how things are done differently)||5 points each = 10 points|
|3.Prompt 3 – definitions and examples of the concepts||5 points each =15 points|
|4. Prompt 4 -Clear explanation of your own cultural assumptions||10 pints|
|5. Prompt – conclusion focuses on the concept of cultural relativism and presents a critical analysis. It should not be sampling bashing one country but a thoughtful analysis.||10 poi|