After reading the text material in Chapters 11 & 12 and after reviewing my outline slides available in the Week 4 Module, in the discussion board for week six, respond to and discuss the following questions/issues:
Read Lee & Johnson Chapters 11 & 12.
- What do we mean by legislative intent, how is it transmitted, and of what consequence is it for administrative agencies?
- Why do you think there has been an ever-increasing push for outsourcing, and what do you see as its long-term impact?
- Why is tax enforcement critical, and how is it changing because of technology advances?
- Should government agencies pay their bills quickly or wait as long as possible? How does that influence the issue of cash flow?
- Discuss the importance of clear and appropriate procurement policies in government.
- What do we mean by internal and external risk management, and how do they relate to budgeting and financial management?
- Why is proper accounting important to budgeting and financial management?
- What do we mean by “fund accounting” in the public sector?
- The primary accounting methods government managers can use are cash accounting, encumbrance accounting, accrual accounting and cost accounting. What are these, and why all these different ways of accounting?
- What do think is the impact of technology and information systems on budgeting and financial management?